One of the most famous spouting hot springs of the world, its name the source of the English word "Geyser".
It is believed that Geysir started spouting in the 13th century. However, at the beginning of this century it stopped altogether, possibly because it was half choked by visitors throwing rocks and turf into the spring in order to activate it.
In 1935 it was re-awakened by lowering the water level and at its best spouted to a height of 60 m.
The nearby Strokkur spouts with great frequency and Geysir itself spouts once in a while.
The centre Geysistofa houses a multi-media exhibition on the forces of nature in Iceland, a restaurant, facilities for research and education, exhibitions on old farming methods and the history of the Geysir area, and a shop.
Konungssteinar, ("The king's stones") three stones on the slope west of the hot spring area. Their name derives from the fact that three Danish kings on official visits to Iceland, Christian IX in 1874, Frederick VIII in 1907 and Christian X in 1922, used them as seats while waiting for Geysir to spout.