Fáskrúðsfjörður is a village on a rather long fjord of the same name which has a valley at the head with many wooded areas, the largest at Gestsstaðir, where wild aspen is found.
The village became part of Fjarðarbyggð in 2006. Fishing and fish processing are the main industries. Trading started ca. 1890.
Formerly the village was a base for French fishermen, who had their own hospital, chapel and cemetery. The French used a big rock, which can still be seen in the village, as a bearing for landward sailing.
They painted a black cross on it and joined in prayer there before sailing out to sea. A memorial to Carl D. Tulinius, a merchant, Berg Hallgrímsson, a businessman and Dr. Charcot can be found in the village at Skrúður Community centre.
A "French Days" festival is held in the last weekend in July each summer in Fáskrúðsfjörður. During this festival in 1999, Foreigh Minister Halldór Ásgrímsson unveiled a reproduction of Einar Jónsson's bust of Dr. Charcot.
The Iccelandic government donated the bust to commemorate relations between Fáskrúðsfjörður and France.
At the museum named Frenchmen in Iceland you can learn more about the French history of the Fáskrúðsfjörður area.
A swimming pool, free camping grounds and a 9 hole golf course are located just outside the village.